Tuesday, July 31, 2012

He has a body!!

Okay, I thought I would get started on making his body tonight... and I finished it!

First, I started by making a simple foam body to go inside.


This is my first time making a foam body for a puppet, but it was easily the simplest thing I have done on this project thus far.


Next came the tricky bit!  I knew from the start that I wanted this to be a glove arm puppet, my first, and I decided to use an old pull-over that no longer fits to save money on fabric.  Unfortunately, it didn't even occur to me that a pull-over doesn't have near enough fabric to make a glove arm puppet! Not even close!  And the material that is there is in small pieces because of all of the seams on the pull-over!  So, I had a dilemma. I didn't want to have to go out and try to buy or find fabric to match the head and the fleece I have left over from the previous puppet builds is no where near the right color.  So, I decided to go back into the hall closet, find another old jacket from my chubbier days (a 2XL, thankfully) and try to piece together my first ever glove arm puppet using the small bits of material I could pull from both jackets using my meager sewing skills (seriously, I had never even operated a sewing machine before I started making puppets a few months ago... my sewing skills are pathetic).  And do it in a way that looked like it was supposed to be that way!  

So... I stayed up all night and here's what I came up with...

The front:


The back:


And the entire thing with the foam body inside and the head pinned together:


Not bad, right?

(Sorry for the shoddy photos... but it's freaking 4a.m.!)



No comments:

Post a Comment